Working Wonders for Nearly a Century
Since 1924, Goodwill of Orange County has helped people with disabilities find employment, become independent and support themselves and their families. We’re proud of our heritage and have a rich, active history in the local community:
- Goodwill Industries was founded in 1902 by Reverend Edgar J. Helms in Boston Massachusetts
- Goodwill of Orange County opened its doors in 1924 as a branch of the Los Angeles-based Goodwill Industries of Southern California
- Our Orange County operation began as a storefront on Fourth Street in Santa Ana and has since become a well-recognized community service provider and leading employer with more than 900 employees and an annual budget of more than $78 million
- We serve more than 1,000 children and adults with disabilities and other barriers to independence each day
Along the way we’ve earned a number of accolades:
- Goodwill of Orange County is a responsible nonprofit agency, with 92% of every incoming dollar directly supporting our services for people with disabilities and other barriers to independence
- We’re recognized as one of the seven Best Companies to Work for in Orange County by OC Metro Magazine
- We’ve been voted Best Thrift Store by The Orange County Register readers too many times to count and are currently the #2 Vintage store in OC
- Launched shopgoodwill.com in 2000 and was named among "TIME.com 50 Best Web Sites of 2009."
- The first and only Goodwill to create the Goodwill Fitness Program for people with disabilities and chronic illness
- We have consistently achieved three-year CARF (The Rehabilitation Accreditation Commission) Accreditation since 1980
I’m visually impaired, but I see a bright future ahead. Thanks to Goodwill, I work at Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen in Downtown Disney. Someday I hope to be a catering manager.
What We Do
We offer a variety of services to help people with disabilities be independent and fully participate in their communities.
- We provide a comprehensive array of education, training, and employment services to assist individuals to overcome barriers to employment and to succeed at home, at work, or at school
- Program participants are paid for their work based on their level of productivity and ability (we focus on a person's ability, not their disability)
- Our program participants are trained in Packaging and Assembly, Custodial Services, Maintenance, Retail Sales, Retail Processing, Document Destruction and E-waste Solutions and Recycling
- Program participants are referred to Goodwill by the Regional Center of Orange County, the Department of Rehabilitation for the State of California, local schools, hospitals, and insurance companies
Have a question, comment or idea you’d like to share with us?
Please feel free to contact us using our contact form.